Directory structure [was: Re: [PD-dev] popup external]

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Feb 22 18:40:21 CET 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, d.lj wrote:
> [Frank Barknecht]->[Directory structure [was: Re: [PD-dev] popup...
>
>  |Hallo,
>  |B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:
>  |> I've put my first version of "popup" the popup menu widget in CVS.
>  |Cool. I'll test as soon as I finished testing the new Snd. ;)
>  |But your check-in reminds me of another thing, I sometimes think about
>  |when looking at the CVS repository. You - and some others - put each
>  |external into its own directory. Another approach - that is taken by
>  |the larger collections like grill, ggee or creb rsp. pdp, is to put
>  |all externals by one author or those, that belong to a larger project,
>  |below a shared directory. I would prefer the second approach, partly
>  |because it makes organizing my own stuff easier.
>
> i think every single way of categorizing the stuff is problematique
> because of manifold inclusions.
>
> byauthor grouping does make sense for the more comprising packages but
> not for some single object efforts, also the author's name doesnt tell
> you anything about what the software does (cpan problem).
>
> but since current filesystems hardly allow for heterogenous layouts its
> probly best to choose nice symbolic names like gem2pdp, arraysize,
> chaos, .. which lets you make a good guess about its purpose.
>
> and then, cvs _and_ sf.net arent too friendly about directory
> reorganisation, so itd be some other piece of software's job to map the
> filesystem onto multiple modes of organization: byauthor, bycateg,
> byage, byname, ...  pdb?

Yes, but in order to make this automatic, we could define a standard
.txt file that can be parsed by pdb, containing keywords, categories,
etc.

If pdb would offer this feature, every author of an external can
supply a nice text description of the external and it would get
automatically included in pdp, searchable, categorizeable etc.

Is pdb still maintained by Norbert ?
Would be good to know what he thinks about this "addition".

Guenter

ah, PS: pdb doesn't solve the "how to organize the CVS" problem, though,
it solves the "how to find an external" problem, which is different.