[PD-dev] Re: CVS access

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Feb 22 19:44:13 CET 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 13:39, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, guenter geiger wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > > I think I fixed it, by committing older versions back on top of my
> > > versions.
> > > In any case, I think I had to tell you...
> >
> > Ok, thanks, everything seems to be ok.
> > I updated the HEAD to 0.37-1test6 and merged in the changes
> > from millers version into devel_0_37.
>
> Ok, I have three questions:
>
> 1. All those changes you just merged in seem to have changed almost
> every line in a lot of files. I thought it could be something like messing
> with newline codes or switching between tabs and spaces, but it seems that
> lines that only have one brace on it don't get modified. What is this?
> Is it a change of indentation style? I usually try to avoid those, as they
> make it more difficult to apply diffs / merge branches... What is your
> opinion on this?

<rant>

I brought this up a while ago,  complaining about people still using hard tabs
in source code. I don't know if this is the problem in this case. In the mean
time, someone mentioned a switch for CVS to ignore whitespace - I don't
remember it this applied to checkin, checkout, or both.  Really, whitespace
and newline differences should be none of the version control system's
business, but I don't know how Sourceforge is configured by default.

Apologies in advance if this isn't the cause of your problem, but hard tabs
are very, very bad, unless you're programming on a C64 and need to conserve
floppy space. IMO If a programmer insists on using hard tabs, he or she
should put a comment at the top of the source file specifying the tab
spacing.

</rant>

Larry Troxler