[PD-dev] Re: CVS access

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Feb 23 19:20:46 CET 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Larry Troxler wrote:
>
> > I brought this up a while ago, complaining about people still using
> > hard tabs in source code. [...] but hard tabs are very, very bad,
> > unless you're programming on a C64 and need to conserve floppy space.
>
> You make it seems like it was a completely outdated that only a few rare
> programmers would use, out of nostalgia. However many rather recent (and
> sometimes huge) projects have hard tabs as their only allowed indentation.

(quoting notes.txt):
1.5.  Spacing.  Tabs are 8 spaces; indentation is 4 spaces.  Indenting
curly brackets are by themselves on their own lines, as in:

    if (x)
    {
        x = 0;
    }

Lines should fit within 80 spaces.

So the rules are set. Although IMO it leaves a bit room for
interpretation, but I understand it as using spaces only.

Guenter