[PD-dev] MIDI output devices

Padraig Kitterick padraigkitterick at oceanfree.net
Mon Feb 23 19:40:08 CET 2004

> Padraig Kitterick wrote:
>
>> What I would like to be able to do is to use the device which is
>> selected in PD's midi settings. I've searched the lists but can't seem
>> to find anything related to this. Could anyone tell me how I do this?
>

> That's exactly the device you get when you read/write midi. Am I missing
> something?

That's what I expected too but no matter what I tried it would never
send the midi sysex messages. However, if I added midiOutOpen() and
midiOutClose() functions (which I shouldn't have to do as PD will have
already opened the midi device) it worked fine.

At first I thought it was because the code was in an external but today
I patched the 0.37-1test6 branch and the behaviour was the same: sending
the messages without first opening the device didn't work. I had to
explicitly open and close the device, which also requires I specify a
device number...

As far as I can tell, it all comes down to the midi device handle.
Calling the midiOutOpen() sets up the handle to that particular midi
device. When I patched the source I made sure I was using the same
handle as the other midi functions in the source too so it should work fine.

Just to let you know: the sys_putmidibyte() function which is
implemented in 0.37-1test6 is a very similar function (using
midiOutShortMsg() instead of midiOutLongMsg()) and it doesn't work
either. My guess is that both are using the wrong device handle, or that
the handle hasn't been set.

_Padraig