[PD-dev] socket gurus

august august at alien.mur.at
Tue Mar 2 16:26:11 CET 2004

I'm now trying to brush up my external for reading different sound
formats.  One problem I am having is with sockets though.

I use a normal connect() command like this:

  if ( connect (fd, (struct sockaddr *) &server, sizeof (server)) < 0 ) {
	post("Couldn't connect");
	close(fd);
	return (-1);
  }
  post("connected to server");

but I noticed that when I try to connect to the wrong port of servers that
exist, the app will hang indefinitly trying to connect.  I never get a
response at all.

for example if I connect to http://66.28.68.70:8000/puredata.ogg  and
nothing is there at that server on that port, it returns non-0 with an
error and everything is fine.

But, if I try to connect with  http://66.28.68.70:3200/puredata.ogg, it
hangs completely.

Olaf, I am looking at your code a lot to do the connect and http commands
and noticed that this bug also affects your code. Try connecting to
http://66.28.68.70:3200/anymount

any hints?  would it be better to use bind somehow?

thanks -august.