[PD-dev] Passing data from gui to pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 9 18:54:31 CET 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, B. Bogart wrote:

> Can anyone show me the most simple example of how to use pd_bind (or
> something else) to attach the output of an arbitrary tcl command to a
> function? (This would also be very useful for getting tcl to report
> the size of a widget in order to change the size of the bounding box.)

Hi. In the current GUI, widget size is handled by the server, as is pretty
much anything GUI-related. So pretty much any info you want on widgets can
be accessed through C structs and such. Especially, if you need
boundingbox info, there's a getrectfn() method in the t_widgetbehavior
interface.

In impd I'm currently rewriting a lot of mixed C/Tcl code into a more
clearly separated C part and Tcl part, with the Tcl part being a lot more
autonomous, so that the most GUI-oriented parts all run in the client, in
nonrealtime, while the stuff that really needs realtime actually gets a
more comfortable scheduling. Nevertheless, the current C structures will
stay that way for possibly a long time, for compatibility reasons.

Btw, if you want to show up at PureData Montréal, you're very much
invited, even if you only do it using your teleportation stuff. In the
latter case, all you have to do is say "help! I'm trapped inside this
monitor!!! please someone get me out of this...!!!" so as to entertain an
untold number of spectators. ;-)