[PD-dev] glist woes under linux? (and Where to put my externals?)

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Mar 10 16:00:20 CET 2004

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out over this learning experience,
especially Krzysztof who has spent a lot of time on my questions.

Ok I have two questions today. After getting my text widget to talk to
PD I have a functional (so I thought) external, only in need of some
cleaning up. To my great dismay I copied the source over to my linux
machine and "text" seems to think its a standard non-gui object!!!
All the methods are there and accessible, the only errors I get are that
it can't find the widget path. Interestingly the widget path always
starts with .x0. where "0" should be printf("%x", x->x_glist) As far as
I can tell the glist stuct member is containing something completely
different on OSX than in linux (but popup works on linux, and I changed
nothing in the glist stuff, copied directly over).

I debugging I put posts in functions: create_widget, text_drawme (in
if(firsttime) and else(firsttime), text_displace and text_vis. None of
these posts end up on the console.

Now that I have this terrible bug, I would like anyone who has the
experience and time to take a look.

So where should I put "text" in CVS? along side chaos, popup, and pso in
the root? Or make a "bbogart" directory to contain these? or leave pso
and chaos and put popup and text in a "gui-externs" directory? The code
is almost identical to popup, all I changed was the tcl stuff and
changed the object methods, which all just do sys_vgui things.

Any help would be appreciated. I was hoping to keep on with the posts,
but since none of these methods seems to even get called, its a issue
that far exceeds the depth of my pd knowledge. :( I don't even
understand what a glist is. *sigh*

Thanks everyone,
I hope at least some of you also have applications these things would be
useful for.

Oh I have one more question, the text widget likes to hold onto keyboard
focus once it has been focused (with mouse) so one can't use the
keyboard in the patcher without unfocusing the text widget (Ctrl-tab). I
fixed this by binding the <Leave> event on the text widget with a focus
command on the widget's parent (focus [winfo parent]) I'm not sure if
this is safe to do in all circumstances. But it does seem to work well.

Thanks! (with great enthusiasm)
Ben

PS: I'm teaching another lot of University students pd/Gem next week.