[PD-dev] glist woes under linux? (and Where to put my externals?)

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed Mar 10 16:55:08 CET 2004

hi Ben,

B. Bogart wrote:
> I can tell the glist stuct member is containing something completely
> different on OSX than in linux (but popup works on linux, and I changed

do not blame linux for that.  What you need is

x->x_glist = canvas_getcurrent();

in the _new routine.  Assigning it in a draw routine does not make
sense, because the value never changes during the object's
lifetime.  If you do so, you are going to rely on the draw routine
being called prior to any usage of x->x_glist.

> and chaos and put popup and text in a "gui-externs" directory? The code
> is almost identical to popup, all I changed was the tcl stuff and
> changed the object methods, which all just do sys_vgui things.

exacly the reason, why the efforts would be better channeled, if
they went into creating the generic Pd framework for Tk widgets...

> fixed this by binding the <Leave> event on the text widget with a focus
> command on the widget's parent (focus [winfo parent]) I'm not sure if

more natural, perhaps, seems keeping the focus in the widget, even
if mouse is outside of it (keep it until clicked outside) -- that
is how text editors usually behave.  What I do is just

bind Canvas <1> {+focus %W}

in the setup.wid.  Actually, I would like to have it in pd.tk,
instead...

Krzysztof