[PD-dev] [cvs] New dev for SF

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Mar 15 08:53:50 CET 2004

Hallo,

> "cvs import" is used for starting a new module, like 'externals' or
> 'pd', at the root of the CVS.

This is not exactly true the way you said it. "import" imports a whole
directory tree, but this doesn't have to be a new one at the root of
the tree. So for the initial importing of pmpd "cvs import" would be
the right thing (tm) to do. Quoting the manual:

  Use  'cvs  import'  to  incorporate  an  entire source distribution
  from an outside source (e.g., a source vendor) into your source
  repository directory.  You can  use this  command  both for initial
  creation of a repository, and for wholesale updates to the module
  form the outside source.

I have no idea why it didn't work for Cyrille the first time. Maybe
the account wasn't switched on yet? Or maybe it's indeed a permissions
thing, in that Cyrille isn't allowed to "import". Then the "cvs add"
approach, which is quite a bit longer, would be worth a try.

> You just need to "cvs add" your
> directory and folders.  Here's how I work with the pure-data CVS:
>
> mkdir ~/cvs
> cd ~/cvs
> export CVS_RSH=ssh
> export CVSROOT=":ext:eighthave at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data"
> cvs checkout pd
> cvs checkout externals
> cd externals
> cp -a /path/to/pmpd .
> cvs add pmpd
> cd pmpd
> cvs add *.c
> cvs commit -m "this is a comment about the changes I made in this
> commit"
>
> (a lot of externals include m_pd.h, m_imp.h, etc. from the pd src,
> that's why its good to check it out also, even if you are not going to
> use it at all).

ciao