[PD-dev] cvs abstractions in the path

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 18 04:39:51 CET 2004

On Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004, at 11:09 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
>> I have been thinking that it would be handy to have the abstractions
>> collection all in one folder so that it could be added to the path.
>> This would be useful for abstractions that are generally useful.  It
>> probably makes sense to arrange this the same way the externals are
>> arranged: directory for each dev, then when compiled, all of the
>> abstractions are put into on directory, which is added to the path.
>
> Abstractions surely will create another problem with dupe names. I'm
> not
> sure if putting them all into one directory will make things easier
> here,
> as probably everyone has abstractions of his/her own and thus you can
> never
> know which name  is already taken. That's why I would rather see it, if
> abstractions are not "installed" in another way than by adding some
> paths to
> the pdrc.

I am not suggesting that all abstractions be put into this single
directory, just abstractions that are meant to be used like standard
objects.  For example, I have a [debug-print] abstraction that would be
generally useful.   Yes, these abstractions will occupy the same
namespace, but that is inevitable.  For abstractions that make up a
distinct system, like rradical, it would probably make sense to keep
them separate.  That reminds me, when will rradical join the cvs?

> One thing that would be very useful though could be wildcard path
> expansion. For example I organized my rradical collection so that it
> uses several paths:
>
> rradical/instruments
> rradical/effects
> rradical/control
> rradical/...
>
> It would be nice to be able to add them all to pdrc with something like
> "-path /usr/lib/pd/rradical/*/" or even "-path
> /usr/lib/pd/rradical/[^test]/"
> to include all subdirs except "test"

This would be handy.  While we are at it, it would be nice to add
comments to .pdrc files, and also support them on Windows.

> This also would allow us to make a pdrc easier to write with the CVS
> while
> still retaining some structure.

Relati