[PD-dev] devel branch for 'externals'

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 18 19:14:35 CET 2004

On Thursday, Mar 18, 2004, at 12:09 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> There is a bunch of code in the 'externals' section of the CVS that is
>> not maintain there (maxlib, motex, pdogg I think, etc.).  So I was
>> thinking that it would make sense to make that code read-only, then
>> make a branch like "devel_0_37" for 'pd', maybe calling it just
>> "devel"
>> or whatever.  But I think it would be good to have a standard branch
>> for modification of such code.
>>
>> This would make it easier to maintain code in the CVS when the creator
>> doesn't want to maintain it in the CVS.   Thoughts?  Comments?
>
> It depends. Sometimes this is one of the advantages of CVs: That
> someone else can quickly fix a small bug. This doesn't work for Thomas
> Grill's externals of course, which are overwritten every night, IIRC,
> but there read-only wouldn't make much sense anyways.

flext is a great example actually.  Say I wanted to do more than just a
bug fix, but add a significant feature to a part of flext.  I could
commit my changes to the 'devel' branch, and still track Thomas'
changes.  Then when my new feature is implemented to Thomas'
satisfaction, he could incorporate it into his CVS.  This is what we
are already doing with the pd source, so it  should work.  Since flext,
etc. is changing quite a bit, that would mean more merging work, but
for something like maxlib, it doesn't change much these days so a
branch should be easy to maintain.

.hc