[PD-dev] Re: separating the debian package building

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 18 19:41:06 CET 2004

On Thursday, Mar 18, 2004, at 13:07 America/New_York, Hans-Christoph
Steiner wrote:

> I would like to separate the debian package building so that each
> package is built separately.  There are a couple touchy packages in
> there that never build for me without a fair amount of fiddling and I
> need to build packages from source quite a bit since I have to push
> out pd updates to 15+ debian boxes.
>
> Here's my idea:
> Separate each package out into its own "debian" directory which will
> compile only one package:
> externals/debian
> externals/cyclone/debian
> externals/flext/debian
> externals/footils/debian  (aka pd-flext-ext; this might to be renamed
> pd-footils for this to work)
> externals/OSCx/debian
> externals/pdp/debian
> externals/pidip/debian
> externals/unauthorized/debian
>
> Then a Makefile in packages/debian could run "dpkg-buildpackage -b"
> for each of these, copy the "debian" dir to the pd src, and compile it
> too.
>
> This system would make it easier to add new debian packages and have
> them automatically build, since all of the necessary files would be
> totally separate, with the exception of a couple lines in
> packages/debian/Makefile

Ok, I am responding to my own email because I just realized that I left
something out: the debian autobuilders.  AFAIR, the externals build
files need to be contained within the 'externals' directory.  So with
that in mind, I revise this above idea.  Maybe externals/debian/rules
could call dpkg-buildpackage for the other packages?  I need docs on
the auto build process, anyone have a good links?  I didn't find
anything by browsing through the docs.