[PD-dev] "tracking third-party sources" in cvs

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 21 22:32:23 CET 2004

On Saturday, Mar 20, 2004, at 21:47 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Basically, the code from the original source is maintained in a
>> separate branch, while we work on the MAIN branch (which is the
>> default).  Then we 'cvs import' new versions from the source into that
>> separate branch and merge changes into the MAIN branch.
>
> This sound cool, without having read this.
>
> I'd like to announce another idea I had tonight while out clubbing
> (forgive me, if it doesn't make sense because of this...)
>
> I wonder, if an "installer" branch would make sense. In this branch,
> the package maintainers could make changes that ease packaging, like
> for example unifying variables in Makefiles and so on. Later this
> could be merged to upstream.
>
> Good idea?

You think about installers while clubbing? ;)  Anyway, I don't think
its really necessary to have a separate branch.  The installer-specific
files are in their own directories and usually, the changes that I need
to make when making the installers are generally helpful, ie making
things easier to build, etc.