[PD-dev] making the font size the same cross-platform

Andy Schmeder andy at a2hd.com
Thu Mar 25 19:16:20 CET 2004

> This is IT, Mathieu. This fully conpatible with the situation in
> HTML/CSS, where you shouldn't use points but, at least for designer
> pages, you should use pixel units.
> Pixels are the same everywhere, so maybe Pd should use pixel - or does
> it already?

The only problem is when you mix the two schemes (points / pixels), you
get a disaster.

A 10-pixel font on my laptop is just about right....  but on my 22"
desktop monitor, its microscopic (really).  If you really want
portability, resolution-independent is the only way to go.

I can't even begin to describe just how evil pixel-based design is. I hope
that the proliferation of SVG will begin to eliminate it.

 Andrew (Andy) W. Schmeder
 mailto:andy at a2hd.com
 http://www.a2hd.com