[PD-dev] threaded gui & cvs

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 23:35:08 CEST 2004

> I was actually going to post something about this to gauge interest.
> fftw looks to have really good performance across all platforms.  Do
> you have to build in support for the SIMD versions on each platform or
> is it automagical detection at runtime?
iirc, you'll are able to configure fftw's makefiles to use sse (single
precision) and sse2 (double precision) ... since pd represents samples
as floats, we only need to build the single precision library...
gcc doesn't support optimized code for different architectures in one
binary ... icc does, but results bigger binaries...

you won't have to use SIMD optimization for pd, to get the full
performance out of the fft objects, unless fftw uses them. on the other
hand i added some optimize flags to pd's configure script ... at least
p4 will get the best optimization i know of...
but even without all the SIMD optimizations fftw uses a faster algorithm
to compute the fft, and most of the performance will come from that, so
it's not that a big difference if you use SIMD or not...

cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,