[PD-dev] PD_BADFLOAT

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Mon Apr 5 15:47:50 CEST 2004

hi all,

i've got a question about the PD_BADFLOAT macro ...

iirc denorms occur when there a number is below 2^(-127), what's about
5.9e-39, what's definitely inaudible ...
if sound files are stored as 24 bit pcm, pd's representation of samples
as floats between -1 and 1 would result a max. resolution of 4.7e-10 ...

which floats will be marked by pd's macro? only floats that are actually
denormals? or all samples that are below a certain threshold?
if it's only detecting actual denormals what do you think of adding some
kind of PD_NEARLYBADFLOAT macro that flushes every float below maybe
1e-20 to zero ... then we can be more or less sure, that no future
function (e.g. fftw) will actually create denormal values ...

cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,