[PD-dev] OSCx License is not free?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Apr 5 20:37:37 CEST 2004

I actually just cleaned up the build system for OSCx so it works for
MacOS X now.  That's what brought up this issue.  I made it a
generalized autoconf build, so the same makefile works in GNU/Linux as
well.  It should also work for BSD, Cygwin and MinGW. but I haven't
succeeded there yet.

.hc

On Monday, Apr 5, 2004, at 12:16 America/New_York, Tim B wrote:

> on this thread - will OSCx appear for OSX any time soon?
>
> i havent gone through the process of learning about compilation
> under OSX (anyone care to share a pointer to a simple HOWTO?)
> so I havent tackled it myself...
>
> cheerz,
>
> tm
>

> d.lj wrote:
>> hu.
>> never thought about this but of course this is an issue. all three OSC
>> objects are only modifications of the cnmat programs respectively the
>> max object. hm. rewrite anyone? ;)
>> anyway, i ll ask about it on the osc list and see what the cnmat ppl
>> say.
>> _j
>> [Hans-Christoph Steiner]->[[PD-dev] OSCx License is not
>> free?]->[04-04-05 10:55]
>>  |Anyone know what the license is of the OSCx code in CVS is?  On the
>>  |files themselves, the license is a non-free license.  So unless its
>>  |been released under a different license also,  it shouldn't be in
>>  |SourceForge CVS and it can't be distributed with the Pd installers
>> or
>>  |in Debian.  (This isn't a political issue, its a legal issue.  UC
>>  |Berkeley could sue SourceForge, guenter, or me, for example, for
>>  |violating their license).
>>  |This is from the top of externals/OSCx/src/dumpOSC.c:
>>  |"Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
>> its
>>  |documentation for educational, research, and not-for-profit
>> purposes,
>>  |without
>>  |fee and without a signed licensing agreement, is hereby granted,
>>  |provided that
>>  |the above copyright notice, this paragraph and the following two
>>  |paragraphs
>>  |appear in all copies, modifications, and distributions.  Contact The
>>  |Office of
>>  |Technology Licensing, UC Berkeley, 2150 Shattuck Avenue, Suite 510,
>>  |Berkeley,
>>  |CA 94720-1620, (510) 643-7201, for commercial licensing
>> opportunities."
>>  |.hc
>>
>> |_____________________________________________________________________
>> ___
>>  |____
>>  |Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to
>>  |realize his wishes.
>>  |Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
>>  |		                                     -William Carlos Williams
>
> --
> -------- ------------------------------------
>  \    /  Tim Boykett   mailto:tim at timesup.org
>   \  /   TIME'S UP
>    \/    Industriezeile 33 B
>    /\    A-4020 Linz
>   /xx\   ph/fax:+43/732-787804
>  /xxxx\  http://www.timesup.org

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
										-A.J. Muste