[PD-dev] a few questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 9 22:06:48 CEST 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Being able to run "wish u_main.tk" would actually be really helpful to
> app to make a proper MacOS X .app.  So unless it breaks things, I am
> for it.

Cool, I may attempt that eventually.

> With all of these changes that you are making, its going to be hard to
> get them merged into the core.

I know that.

> Do you have any plans to break out the changes into individual
> patches, maybe, to make it more palettable?

I am afraid I can't make it more palatable for most of the changes. The
main reason is that the GUI changes are actually a gradual rewrite of the
whole of IEMGUI, and then I'm also changing the base Pd GUI as well, and
turning it into something quite completely different code-wise that just
will happen to be 99% compatible with the old one. Look at pd_upload() and
sys_mgui() and u_object.tk for examples of what I'm going towards...

> It would be a shame to see your code turn into a permanent fork

I won't personally do the big work on the devel<->impd merging, but I am
certainly not against it, whenever impd gets back to stable enough.

> or not get used.

And according to you, why wouldn't a lot of people switch to the impd
branch? especially if it gets to beta and gets exported and released and
binaries are available...