[PD-dev] Re: [OSC_dev] License restriction of CNMAT OSC code

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 12 20:55:20 CEST 2004

Hallo Matt,
Matt Wright hat gesagt: // Matt Wright wrote:

> I apologize for this problem, which is totally my fault and which
> never should have come up.
>
> I changed the license for all of CNMAT's OSC-related code to a truly
> open-source license, quoted below, in early 2001.   (I even ran it by
> Bradley M. Kuhn from the Free Software Foundation, who told me it's
> totally GPL-compatible.)

Thank you very much for this clarification. I'm really glad, that this
turns out to be just a simple technical matter of various source
versions floating around. The license below looks totally open source
to my eyes, so to say, and will pose no problems for the Pd sources.
And not having to change the source code for the OSC externals, which
I use *intensivly* in my patches is a great easter present.

> I believe that I just fixed everything under
> http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/src to use the
> correct, new, open-source license; please let me know if this is not
> the case, or if you find other "published" OSC code with the bad old
> license.

I did my simple test which is a search for the word "profit" in the
directories with:

$ grep -rl profit *

which found no matches. So all profit is indeed gone now. ;) I (or
someone else of the Pd guys) will change the sources in our external
repository in the next days, so that it reflects those changes.

> p.s. What's the right convention for where to put a README file
> explaining the license for a bunch of source code?

Uhm, many projects put a file "LICENSE.txt" in the top level directory
for the license. GNU-projects often call this "GPL.txt". Normally
there also is a file "README" or "README.txt" which explains what's
inside the package. But personally I like to forget to add both in my
projects... :(

> The correct OSC license:
> >Written by [name(s)], The Center for New Music and Audio Technologies,
> >University of California, Berkeley.  Copyright (c) [year], [year],
> >[year], [...] The Regents of
> >the University of California (Regents).
> >
> >Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and distribute modified
> >versions
> >of this software and its documentation without fee and without a signed
> >licensing agreement, is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
> >notice, this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all
> >copies,
> >modifications, and distributions.
> >
> >IN NO EVENT SHALL REGENTS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT,
> >SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS,
> >ARISING
> >OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF REGENTS HAS
> >BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> >
> >REGENTS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
> >TO,
> >THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> >PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE AND ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION, IF ANY, PROVIDED
> >HEREUNDER IS PROVIDED "AS IS". REGENTS HAS NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE
> >MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

Ciao