[PD-dev] a few questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 15 16:03:31 CEST 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> For me, a some key things don't work with impd, like [tot] IIRC.

Well, impd is currently very much unstable anyway, so when I actually
decide to make a release, then why not report that [tot] doesn't work and
actually tell me how to test for the problem and then maybe i'll know what
to fix.

>  And if Miller's changes aren't maintained in impd, then there would
> be a fork.

That's a pretty strange definition of fork. Maybe that's the slashdot
definition of fork, I mean with the "bad, evil" connotations. To me, a
branch and a fork are the same thing. Whether there is
collaboration/osmosis between the branches is a separate issue.

That said, I'm not going to put the burden of merging Miller's/devel's
changes into impd, as it's already enough job to just get my changes
working. I mean essentially I am rewriting pretty much all of the gui
code and it's long enough that I can't afford to further slow myself
down. Given the interest that impd generates, why wouldn't another
developer actually handle that task?

>  Already, a bunch of useful stuff has been forgotten in the devel_0_36
> branch, for whatever reason.

Well, if this is so much of an issue, then why don't you post the
ChangeLog of the forgotten features ? and then developers would either
patch devel/impd using old diffs, or reimplement the features in terms of
the new codebase.