[PD-dev] what debugger do you use?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 18 08:53:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So I was just doing a little archive searching, maybe people have
> asked this question, but it seems that no one has ever answered.  Has
> anyone successfully used a debugger (gdb, ddd, whatever) to debug pd
> and/or objects before?

yes. Just change the makefile to use -g in the CFLAGS, so that you can get
line numbers and variable names when running gdb. (In Impd this is now a
default)

I successfully used GDB to debug Pd/Impd, Ruby-for-Pd (aka
gridflow.pd_linux), Ruby (libruby.so), the actual GridFlow (I mean the
plugin for Ruby), and all of them together all at once. I can tell you GDB
can handle some complex situations (except in cases of stackpointer
smashing...).

DDD is actually a GUI frontend to GDB, and actually has a GDB prompt
inside of it. It depends on a Motif-compatible GUI library.