[PD-dev] Treating .pd-files as binaryin CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 27 15:00:48 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004, at 08:39 America/New_York, Eric Skogen wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> today I wanted to commit some rradical patch changes to CVS, when cvs
>> bailed out with errors like:
>>  confused about file rrad.minipli.pd -- ignoring
>>
>> I vaguely remember, that Pd files maybe should be stored as binary in
>> CVS. Reading a bit around about this I found, that it is possible to
>> make *.pd files be always treated as binary by adding them to the
>> "cvswrappers" file. So maybe some CVS guru can comment, if this would
>> make sense?
>>
>> Ciao
>>
> this is a total guess.. maybe it doesn't like the multiple dots?
> (rrad.minipli.pd vs rrad_minipli.pd)

CVS is good about file names, I use all kinds of chars in filenames of
things checked into my own CVS and I've never had a problem.

> i would say patches should handled just like any other source code,
> since they are plain text. by switching to a binary format, you would
> lose versioning control on pd patches. CVS can track ASCII changes,
> but IIRC cannot do anything with binaries save for archiving them (no
> merge, diff.. etc).

We could add .pd files to the cvswrappers with the -kb tag, which is
the only specific 'binary' handling that CVS does server-side AFAIK.
All -kb does is prevent keyword expansion ($Revision $, $Id $, etc.).
  But I use those so I'd like to keep it in there.  I am pretty sure
that preventing merges happens on the client-side, since the actual
merge happens on the client side.

As for merging .pd files, the merge algorithm would have to understand
object numbering and be able to change the object numbers in connect
messages, as well as probably other things.  I have always dreamed of a
graphical diff for Pd, merging would probably be a simple extension to
that work.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams