[PD-dev] Treating .pd-files as binaryin CVS

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Apr 28 12:17:47 CEST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Wow, if it can merge pd patches ...
> > But I doubt that.
>
> I wonder how I could test that reliably. I already tried to make some
> simple changes to Pd files like deleting objects. commiting the
> changes to a svn-repository, replacing the changed file with the
> previous version and and running update afterwards did work, so it
> seems. (Is this merging?) At least the patch was functional and was
> missing the previously deleted objects.

merging means that you have a file changed in your sandbox, but the
same file got changed in CVS. Upon next update the changes that happened
in CVS are merged with the changes you did.

This can't work for pd patches by definition, as the connections are
defined by the position of the object. A pd merger would have to be a
pretty intelligent program, that has to know exactly how pd patches work.
Unless subversion is designed to merge pd patches, it can't do it.

I don't know, maybe it is possible to write external merger scripts or
programs for SV (which would be an interesting feature).

Guenter