[PD-dev] Re: flext installation - 2

august august at alien.mur.at
Wed May 12 17:31:46 CEST 2004

> I use it for any external but i'm biased of course.
> Advantages:
> - more compact
> - use C++ features (like inheritance)
> - a lot of convencience functions
> - threading

I second this.  very nice features.

> Disadvantages:
> - small processing and memory overhead
> - size of externals (this will improve shortly)

size of externals is not too bad in linux, especially when you link
to Flext as a shared library.   But, I did notice that my externals are
around 72k in linux, but up to 1MB under OS X (both were dynamically
linked)

however, one disadvantage I see in flext is that users of your external
have to download YET ANOTHER piece of software to get yours to compile or
work.  Would be great if Flext was distributed with PD per default as a
C++ interface.

best -august.