[PD-dev] submitting Pd to ACM Multimedia

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 18 05:22:30 CEST 2004

On May 17, 2004, at 5:11 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I am thinking of submitting Pd to the ACM Multimedia conference this
>> October.  Its in New York this year, and I live here, so that's easy
>> for me; I'll be going to the conference anyway.
>>
>> http://www.mm2004.org/acm_mm04_call4oss.htm
>>
>> Any thoughts, objections, comments?
>
> Cool idea. We'll win.
>
> Although it sounds a bit, uhem, strange to read: "submit Pd", because
> this might bring up the question:
>
> What is Pd? Is this just the main program, or does this include
> externals, abstractions, or collections of both as well? Main Pd does
> surprisingly little Multimedia and is mostly concerned with sound,
> whereas there also are a lot of Pd users, who are mainly concerned
> with graphics, which in turn is only available by extensions like Gem
> or PDP or even Flash.
>
> In the light of this, I'm curious what the "README.txt which
> summarizes the purpose of the software and its overall design and use"
> will look like.

I don't think Pd is just what you can download from
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp .  Its all of the externals, objects,
extensions, abstractions, everything.  Its a group effort and a
community.

Here's a first stab at what is Pd:

Pd is a graphical data-flow programming environment that can be used
for a wide variety of purposes, from creating sound and graphics,
processing sensor and device input, controlling robots, and
manipulating video.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams