[PD-dev] stack checking

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed Jun 23 15:58:05 CEST 2004

hi Thomas,

I wonder, what is your opinion about other threads calling outlet
functions -- how reliable it is, given that an outlet function in
turn calls a method of an unknown class, possibly not thread-safe
at all?

Btw, do I read well, that there are two dispatching methods
implemented in flext -- one uses the main thread, and the
clock_set() as the trigger, while the other is background
dispatcher, and that one is apparently default for Pd?  Is the
background method a much better choice, empirically?

I am asking, because some time ago I have been thinking about
introducing optionally threaded interpreters into the `plustot'
library (+tot loads tcl interpreter(s) into the pd process, unlike
tot, which uses the pd-gui process).  Due to design troubles,
I put the threading feature off for better times.

Krzysztof