[PD-dev] Making Wish launch Pd rather than pd launch wish

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 14 06:37:03 CEST 2004

Well, I've spent some time thinking about this.  I think it would be a good
thing.  Some caveats:

1.  pd now writes "printout" to standard error; this would have to be sent
to the TK layer and displayed there.  I don't know how to do this in the
most efficient possible way; maybe it's OK just to display a "text" widget
and keep stuffing text into it.

2. Sometimes one will still want to run it from Pd; for instance, if no
GUI is desired at all;

3.  Someday there should be a way to open a Pd patch from a web browser.
This shouldn't start up a whole new pd process but connect with an existing
one, if one exists.  I'm not sure how this should play out: whether the
TK layer should handle this or the pd layer.

I'm thinking of implementing (3) (from the pd layer) sometime soonish.

cheers
Miller