[PD-dev] Making Wish launch Pd rather than pd launch wish

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 20 04:19:37 CEST 2004

On Jul 14, 2004, at 12:37 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:

> 3.  Someday there should be a way to open a Pd patch from a web
> browser.
> This shouldn't start up a whole new pd process but connect with an
> existing
> one, if one exists.  I'm not sure how this should play out: whether the
> TK layer should handle this or the pd layer.
>
> I'm thinking of implementing (3) (from the pd layer) sometime soonish.

I think that it would probably make the most sense to use the standard
OS-specific methods for doing this.  I just researched this a bit for
MacOS X, where you create a proc called tk::mac::OpenDocument, which
will then be called when the OS wants to send some files to the right
program, either because of its file type or because the files have been
dropped on that app's icon.  I found out about this here:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/3214

I am sure that there are equivalents for other OS's.

.hc