[PD-dev] planning to attempt to upload 0.38 to CVS

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jul 30 23:08:33 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> I think the "miller" branch is just a copy of the code I maintain
> (and merge stuff into myself when appropriate.) I think Guenter then
> merges this into Main branch... if this is so, then I think there
> would now need to be both "stable" and "unstable" miller branches,
> that would be 0.37 (with my bug fixes; cuttently 0.37.2) and
> 0.38test.  Then when 0.38 is ready I'd check it into "stable" and
> start putting 0.39 versions in "unstable".  But this might be a
> gross misunderstanding of how to use CVS effectively.

I don't understand CVS myself, but another (common) approach would be,
that releases are Tags inside the CVS repository. So effectivly MAIN
always is considered to be *unstable*, but at a certain point in time,
MAIN would be "tagged" as "0.38", and then it could move on.

If someone wants to download Pd version 0.38 (s)he would check out the
tagged release from CVS. Bugs in tag 0.38 could still be fixed and
then a new tag like 0.38.1 would be done.

I agree with Hans, that MAIN should be the one and only official
version of Pd and the one that is packaged for distribution(s). But
still MAIN should be considered an unstable branch unless it carries a
stable tag. Another implication of this is: Other modules (externals,
flext, etc.) should depend on MAIN. They should be tagged in parallel
with MAIN. "devel" externals must be tagged in parallel with the
"devel" branch.

This would still allow branches like "impd", "devel" and "miller", if
those are needed. I think they will be needed, because:

"impd" is quite different from the others (correct my if this is
wrong). IMO we should make the impd branch go away sooner or later and
let it grow into "devel".

"devel" is more like a playground, where experimental changes and then
even changes to the "language" could finally be implemented and
tested, provided they are well documented somewhere. Well-tested
features from "devel" can also go into MAIN, after some discussion
brought consensus.

"miller" should be Miller's playground and ideally the one which flows
into MAIN first. Only Miller would need write access to "miller".
There would be no need for "miller-devel" and "miller-stable"
normally, as "stable" i.e. tested and considered good, features in
"miller" would be applied to "MAIN" as well.

So "miller" basically would almost be MAIN, except that some features
like the 64bit support could be added here as well, if Miller doesn't
want to support these himself, and in that "miller" it taboo for
others.

(Oh, and I still sometimes dream of Subversion at IEM. ;)

Ciao