[PD-dev] planning to attempt to upload 0.38 to CVS

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 1 02:14:32 CEST 2004

Well, the hook I found in devel includes stdargs.h right into m_pd.h,
which I think is a serious portability problem (cellphones migth not
implement stdargs :)  -- and anyway, it seems like the hook should go
_after_ the formatting step, not before it.  In my copy right now (too
unstable to check into anything!) I've got a new low-level function:

t_printhook sys_printhook;
int sys_printtostderr;

static void dopost(const char *s)
{
    if (sys_printhook)
    	(*sys_printhook)(s);
    else if (sys_printtostderr)
    	fprintf(stderr, "%s", s);
    else
    {
       (messy code to send it to the GUI layer)
    }
}

... which lets the user choose whether to spit it to the GUI layer,
to standard error, or to any function you put in "sys_printhook".

I'll release all this once I can decide what I think is the most portable
way to get the GUI to start Pd up (which seems to be necessary if you don't
want a "console" window popping up on MSW or Mac).  Yuck...

Miller