[PD-dev] Pd for 64-bit linux

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Sat Aug 14 19:19:21 CEST 2004

Hi  developers,

I don't have a 64-bit machine handy but would like to try to make Pd
runnable on 64-bit linux... I looked in Pd-devel and saw that some, but
not all, of the "%x" formatting in calls to sys_vgui() was changed to "%lx",
like this:

sprintf(buf, ".x%lx", (t_int)owner);

but that most of the time, pointers are simpy fed to "%x" like this:

sys_vgui(".x%x.c focus %s\n", canvas, x->x_tag);

I think the correct thing would be as in,

sys_vgui(".x%lx.c focus %s\n", (t_int)canvas, x->x_tag);

which is to say, explicityly type "canvas" (or other pointers) to pointer-size
integers and then feed to "%lx" format.  But before I make this change
systematically (hundreds of lines affected) I thought I should ask: do we
think this is the most portable formulation?

thanks
Miller