[PD-dev] pd-osc on OSX

adam overton aoverton at calarts.edu
Mon Aug 16 18:17:58 CEST 2004

hello there

sorry to jump aboard the pd-dev list as a newbie, but i just wanted to
relate some problems i had downloading and compiling pd-osc for OSX,
and how i ended up troubleshooting them -- with the hope of either
getting feedback on what i *really* should have done, or so that the
maintainer of pd-osc may update the docs so that it'll be easier for
folks like me to get it going later on. here's what happened:

i noticed the new disclaimer on the pure-data site regarding the new
status of pd-osc, that now it's not actively distrbuted by the pd
site...
i've seen two versions of the pd-osc external, the newest version at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pure-data/externals/OSCx/ (which
is where i'm directed to go from the pd site), and an older version at
the pd sourceforge site.

query # 1:
when i got to the site with the newer version, i couldn't figure out
for the life of me how to download the entire contents of the OSCx
directory all at once. i had to download each file one at a time. for
future reference, is there a way to do this quickly and with one
command that i don't know about?

as for the older version on sourceforge, i was able to easily download
the whole thing happily in one shot, but jeez, i really wanted the
newest one, not the 2002 version...

here are some things that i had to mangle with as an OSX user trying to
compile this stuff - these are the points where i'd either like some
advice on what i should've done instead, or if i did what i was
supposed to, then maybe the docs could be updated or modified for
future users... i couldn't find the email addy of the maintainer of
pd-osc in any of the docs, so that's why i'm sending this message here
to the dev list... i imagine he's a lurker...

first off, i had to change the permissions of the configure file so
that it could be executed, otherwise 'permission denied'.
chmod u+x configure
i imagine this executable bit was just lost in the download process...

next, i had to make sure to change my pd folder from 'pd-0.37-2' to
just plain 'pd' or else the scripts in the configure file wouldn't know
where to look for or put pd-related stuff...

at the website
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pure-data/externals/OSCx/ ), i
didn't download the file 'install.sh' because it was blank, or
'configure.h.in' because my browser kept telling me the file didn't
exist (it also showed up blank when i viewed it). dummy files. after
some mangling with ./configure, i finally downloaded the blank
'install.sh' and created a blank doc called 'configure.h.in' and
./configure was finally happy...

..
then, i was able to make it through './configure' and 'make' alright,
but then when i got to 'make install' (as the superuser of course), i
came across this error:
install -m644 *.pd_linux /usr/lib/pd/extra
install: *.pd_linux: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 71
make: *** [install] Error 2

after some additional mangling, i went into OSCx/src/makefile and
changed the line

install -m644 *.pd_linux $(prefix)/lib/pd/extra  #i assume an artifact
from the linux-users compilation
install -m644 *.pd_darwin $(prefix)/lib/pd/extra

and everything i think compiled alright...

okay, so then after everything had finally compiled fine, after some
investigation i discover that all of the wonderful new docs and
externals have been thrown into an invisible folder (at least invisible
to OSX's finder) that i really don't want to ever use (maybe someone
can convince a good reason why i should): /usr/lib/pd/extra and
/usr/lib/pd/doc
to overrule this, i then type a final command:

cp -R /usr/lib/pd/extra /Applications/Apps.Audio/pd/
cp -R /usr/lib/pd/doc /Applications/Apps.Audio/pd/

which adds the needed externals and docs into their pleasant places...

alrighty. so, basically, if someone has the time, please enlighten me
to whether there could've been a way quicker and easier way for me to
do all of this... and if not (and even if so, perhaps), it'd be super
if the readme docs for pd-osc (and possibly even some of the
installation docs) could be amended and updated to reflect these
possible mods.

awesome. thanks so much for your help.
adam

aoverton at calarts.edu
661.373.8679 cell ... 661.294.1885 hm
http://www.calarts.edu/~aoverton
check out inter/meta/trans, a new mailing list for live art and
performance
http://shoko.calarts.edu/mailman/listinfo/intermetatrans