[PD-dev] Including abstractions in the distros

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Aug 23 00:08:04 CEST 2004

I would like to start adding in all of the useful abstractions to the
various Pd distros and I think we should work out a standard way of
doing it.  The way I see it, abstractions fall into two categories:
external objects just like those written in C, C++, whatever; and,
performance/tutorial/demo/etc. patches.

- for the first type (externals written in Pd): it seems to me that
these should be in a directory much like "extra" which would be added
to the path.  I think that using externals written in Pd should be as
transparent as using an external written in C/C++/etc.  Perhaps these
should just be put in the "extra" folder like all of the compiled
objects as well.

- for the second type (performance/tutorial/demo/etc. patches): these
should be in a browsable, organized layout so that anyone can look thru
them all and try out various things.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams