[PD-dev] Including abstractions in the distros

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 23 09:20:57 CEST 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > - for the first type (externals written in Pd): it seems to me that
> > these should be in a directory much like "extra" which would be added
> > to the path.  I think that using externals written in Pd should be as
> > transparent as using an external written in C/C++/etc.  Perhaps these
> > should just be put in the "extra" folder like all of the compiled
> > objects as well.
> IMHO the way abstractions work should be as close as possible to the way
> externals work. I like to think of abstractions as a kind of external that
> is "written in" the PureData "language".

Oops, clarifying a bit: I mean that I second your opinion and that the
abstractions ought to be in extra/ just like C/C++ externals are. To me,
the purpose of multiple paths is for separating extras according to their
origin: e.g. 1. the ones from the Pd installer; 2. the ones from other
public origins; 3. private user-specific or project-specific extras.

But my question remains,