[PD-dev] Including abstractions in the distros

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 23 09:57:57 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Oops, clarifying a bit: I mean that I second your opinion and that the
> abstractions ought to be in extra/ just like C/C++ externals are. To me,
> the purpose of multiple paths is for separating extras according to their
> origin: e.g. 1. the ones from the Pd installer; 2. the ones from other
> public origins; 3. private user-specific or project-specific extras.

I agree partly, but I would prefer a special path for abstractions.
The reason simply is, that my extra-directory already is very large.

> But my question remains,
>
> > BTW I'd like to know how to set a help file for an abstraction that is not
> > just the abstraction itself.

Add "-help" before the ".pd" part and either have it next to the
original file or in a directory in your help-path.

It's a bit more complicated if you use "Geiger"-namespaces
(abstractions to be used in combination with the parent directory name
like "rrad/fm2~" ), because then the "next to file" version won't work
(or rather: it would, but not using the namespace anymore introducing
possible nameclashes again). You need to add it into a subdirectory
of a help-path-directory using the same namespace name then.

Example

Directory structure:

  /abs
  /abs/rrad
  /abs/help/rrad

Files:

  /abs/rrad/fm2~.pd
  /abs/help/rrad/fm2~-help.pd

$ pd -path /abs -helppath /abs/help

If you now create a [rrad/fm2~] object and open its "Help", it will
open /abs/help/rrad/fm2~-help.pd if I remember all this correctly.

I still have to do some more testing, but if everything works reliably
that way I intend to change the RRADical patches to use a structure
like that.

Ciao