[PD-dev] small gizmos

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Wed Aug 25 04:50:49 CEST 2004

hi jim,

> As one who really likes PICs and PD this sounds like an interesting
> project to me. Not sure how I could help out as it's been a while since
> I've used Forth.

sounds like a perfectly good resume to me :)

> Just so I understand what you are trying to do are you
> envisioning for example separate pd PIC objects that would configure the
> A/D read it , configure PWM etc. I guess I've been doing this with MIDI
> but having direct objects would be nice.

yes. lots of things are possible once actialy have the chain from pd
message -> PIC & back, and it's completely programmable and interactive.
no files, no external compilers, all in one. that's the main goal.

i want an interactive forth interpreter running which can handle some
basic requests, modify registers and install handlers in the PIC (i.e.
swapping in a block of flash memory containing freshly compiled code).

this can then be used to build a more highlevel kernel that can implement
some more io functions, and some pd specific things. find some patterns of
things that might be useful.

ideally, i'd like to have a mini-pd or at least the guts of what's
necessary to simulate pd object behaviour, running on the PIC. creating
an object would then be the equivalent of starting some task on the PIC,
so pd object io can be directly mapped to pic pin io.

but that's just one use. the important part is that there is a this
realtime interactive link between pf->mole->PIC and back. applications
could be split into two parts. a loader, which loads a certain env into
the PIC, and pd objects that map to whatever the loader has loaded into
the PIC, i.e. a bitbanged midi router.

so the basic thing that has to be made in order to get this all working,
is a small interpreter/loader for the PIC and a test circuit. the
communication could be plain serial for starters, or midi which is a tad
bit more difficult to write a valid protocol for i guess but much more
flexible. (i.e. you could use pd + mole to program a standalone midi
application in the PIC).

this loader could be done in assembler or forth. basicly nothing more than
receive, interpret, execute. it would send forth commands (maybe encoded
directly as addresses with the symbol table is in the host to simplify
the target interpreter.) so interpret is nothing more than decode and
execute.

and that's where my knowledge stops. i read the manual to get to know the
architecture so i could write the forth compiler, but i don't have any
experience with actually doing something useful with a microcontroller.
the experiment stopped at the simulator last time.