[PD-dev] starting pd from tcl

0001 0001 at ooo000ooo.org
Sun Aug 29 16:43:54 CEST 2004

hi all.
I'm trying to find a more reliable way of starting pd on OSX from
AppMain.tcl
currently, I depend on pd being able to listen to the default port
(5400).
pd usually gets to bind to this port except if somebody else is using
it. This can be detected in Tcl using netstat.

But if you quit pd, the port is unusable for some time and won't show
up in netstat.

So It seems I need either a way to detect the usability of the port in
Tcl (trying to make a server socket won't report any error) or a clean
way for pd to tell the Tcl code  which port it has picked

any advice on this would be welcome.

gerard