[PD-dev] Standard Directory Layout for Pd Srcs

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sat Sep 4 11:38:32 CEST 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2004, at 5:01 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >> So I make a quick web page to document what seems to me the standard
> >> layout of files and directories for working with the Pd sources.
> >>
> >> http://puredata.org/docs/developer/devlayout
> >>
> >> Comments?
> >
> > I don't like version numbers in direcory names at all, I think this is
> > a wrong thing to do (at least on the conceptual level). Versions are
> > what tagging and branching in CVS should cope with, IMO. The rest is
> > fine with me.
> >
> > (I suppose, the old "build" directories should move to packages/build
> > or similar.)
>
> The pd directories with version numbers are the ones from Miller.  They
> untar.gz that way, so it makes sense to leave them named that way and
> use a symlink.  The pd directories checked out from CVS don't need
> version numbers, that I agree with.  I changed the doc to represent
> that.

If you want to establish a standard, isn't that counter productive having
all these different  pd sources lying around ? It would be bad if
developers would start to depend on them. I think this should not be
specified at all, only the existance of the pd directory.

You could add a note that the pd directory might be a symlink to a
directory containing the pd sources, but where this directory has to be
should not be specified, because it doesn't matter in this case.

Guenter