[PD-dev] gem & 3dp/pf/pdp/pidip

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Sep 8 17:31:21 CEST 2004

Tom

The pix stuff is probably not too difficult as it will just be another
blitter loop to go from one image buffer type to the other.  There is
already an object or two that does this correct?

The GL stuff is a bit trickier.  GEM currently does everything in
immediate mode or using display lists, and none of the actual vertex
rendering information is passed between objects.  I suppose you could
insert other types of viewport, lighting and texture manipulation
objects into the chain, but GEM has all of the basics covered.  I have
recently added some vertex array objects to CVS which do in fact pass
raw vertex, color, texcoord and normals between objects much like the
pixel processing objects.  All of the processing is done by the CPU,
but this arrangement makes for very nice and flexible possibilities
(and is actually much faster than immediate mode).  I would suggest
finding a way to integrate your 3D objects into that rather than spend
a lot of time with the somewhat obsolete Geos and so on.

Another possibility is the creation of display lists out of user
defined chains of objects.  This would be more flexible and faster than
immediate mode, but really only useful for static data like models, and
collections of basic shapes (rectangle, cube, triangles).  It would
interface very nicely with Cyrille's pmpd package and help performance
immensely.

cgc