[PD-dev] cygwin port?

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Mon Sep 13 15:18:42 CEST 2004

cdr schrieb:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:15:51PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>>Nobody looked so far at a cygwin port?

> besides ideological issues, NT kernel only misses shmget() stuff and
> fork(). just add a few #define or rewrite a few lines is all it takes to
> avoid the 75% overhead of cygwin.

> well SDL doesnt support video input (yet?) so on NT you are
> output-only if you build pdp or gridflow - maybe you're interested in
> developing some sort of abstracted directshow input-layer to be hooked
> into pdp and gridflow all at once - theres possibly-useful code in GEM
> already.

Good and not that hard. We already have some DSH input/output-layer for
xvid, for which I do nightly mingw snapshots.

>>I see various build targets, which would help.
>>pd_cygwin would be a merge of pd_linux and some pd_nt (just the dllext
>>and some makefile additions, using a newer libtool to use dlltool and
>>maybe dllwrap)
>>FYI, cygwin supports OOTB tcl/tk (native nt) and opengl (native or x11).
>>And sound should be possible also in a mixture of linux and nt manner
>>(/dev/dsp wrappers and WinAPI).

> install msysDTK (autoconf/CVS/openSSH/perl) and a shortcut like:

please not. I prefer real compatibility.

> C:\m\bin\rxvt.exe -fn "lucida console-10" -sl 10000 -e bash --login -i
> and you should see why cygwin isnt necessary - if you want to make a
> dpkg repository, that would be great..it is annoying to grab source from
> 50 places, reminds me of slackware..,

we had dpkg support before. I wonder where this went. This might be an
option, but setup.exe requires pure tar.bz2, with some automatic preinst
and postinst scripts in /etc/

I see. gem is somewhere else at sf.net.

>>It would be nice to have this finished for the convention.
>>I'm already thinking of maintaining apache, php and postgresql for
>>cygwin, so puredata would be not so problematic to maintain for me,
>>compared to the others.
>
> co -r devel_0_37 pd, use makefile.mingw. it is stil not in configure.in, if you feel like taking a stab at that..

mingw is technically fine (besides it has no ipc layer).
The main cygwin advantage would be a wide audience, since
cygwin comes with an easy package manager: setup.exe

and it would be similar to the debian package:
one click install of a lot packages.

another minor problem:
cygwin ships with tcl84, pd has 83 bundled. we would use 84.
any technical problems why you didn't switch to 84 yet?
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/