[PD-dev] gem & 3dp/pf/pdp/pidip

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 13 17:55:16 CEST 2004

James Tittle II wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2004, at 2:51 PM, Tom Schouten wrote:
>

>> i'm not sure which object you mean here.
>
>> so if the 3dp object would echo anything that comes in,
>> but use the message just as a synchronization for when to
>> execute the GL code, would this work?
>

> ...seems like a place to start!

right, this should work.
i was thinking of addint a "bang" message to the GEMgl...objects to call
the render-routine to make them more general and not depending on the
GemState (which most of them do not need at all, and the ones that would
need it, do not recognize it :-()

>> one thing i don't understand is wether gem 'compiles' a pd network
>> into some other structure where a sequence of functions are executed,
>> or if the drawing happens at the moment the 'context' comes in the
>> left inlet.
>

> ...I don't think it's that complex, yet :-)

actually it used to be that complex.
however, since gem-0.87 (i think) i have stopped this, since the
overhead we get from using pd's message-system for the rendering is not
that big (performance loss is "only" about 50% when using GEMgl...stuff,
but decreases with more complex objects).

i have no real plans to change this, as it makes things more complicated
than they should be.

> hop on board!  I know I'm following what you're doing with pf/pdp/whatever!

right.
i am really glad about all that stuff.
tom, i have added you to the developers at pd-gem.sf.net (if you don't mind)

looking forward to the convention to see (most of) you in real-life very
much.

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes

PS: sorry for not replying sooner to this thread, but i was a bit
overworked.