[PD-dev] cygwin port?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 14 05:38:56 CEST 2004

On Sep 13, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Reini Urban wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner schrieb:
>> Anything to make installing Pd easier will only serve to expand the
>> user base.
>
> do you want that, or do your prefer an expanded developer base only :)

Both are good. Expanded developer base means more work done on Pd.
Expanded user base means more people to answer the basic questions, and
more people to hopefully contribute a little money to the developers so
that can feed, house, and clothe themselves working on Pd.

>> Cygwin has functional symbolic links, so that would mean  that all
>> platforms that Pd runs on could use symbolic links for object  alias
>> names when libraries are compiled as individual objects.
>
> yes. but dll's unfortunately cannot be symlinks, because a PE exe
> locates the dll name from the PE header and searches just the usual
> dll LibrarySearchPaths, but doesn't resolve symlinks.
> I'll try to add that delayed lazy loading somewhen to the gcc linker
> (wine and the msvc linker has it already), but for that I would need
> for more time.

Ah, that's a bummer for sure.  It would be great to be able symlink
.dlls because they we would have a complete cross-platform solution for
organizing Pd objects.  Any work towards that goal would be greatly
appreciated.

.hc