[PD-dev] an idea for Pd structure

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Oct 14 10:05:55 CEST 2004

Hallo,

> So all of the ideas from the pd~conference are still swirling around my
> head and slowly distilling out.  One idea which I think emerged from
> the conference about how Pd should ideally be structured:
>
> - high level objects for rapid programming and beginners
> - high level objects would be written in Pd so that the user can easily
> get inside it
> - Pd should provide a broad set of the lowest level of operators,
> whether they be for audio, messages, video, etc.
>
> One key thing for this idea to work is that objects written in Pd
> should behave the same as those written in C, C++, etc.  Things are
> already headed in this direction, with such new features as help
> patches for abstractions, etc.
>
> I think this idea should be broadly applied in Pd and there are already
> a number of examples of this.  A set of toxy widget abstractions would
> be a great solution for GUI objects, and I think the video/graphics
> packages already provide low level operations, it would be good to see
> more high level, reusable abstractions for video/graphics.

This is exactly what RRADical is about, as you probably know. I
already started to implement some pdp-rrads, but generally I hope,
that the rradical patches become less my project, but a community
project. I'm not so much into graphics that I would be a good person
to rradicalize pdp, Gem or GridFlow.

At least the ideas already developed in rradical - which mainly are:
clear communication paths for remote control (also inside patches)
through OSC and centralized but modular state saving - are IMO
absoluetly necessary for the two R's:  Rapidity and Reusability.

Ciao