[PD-dev] an idea for Pd structure

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 15 18:18:49 CEST 2004

Hallo,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > You miss one central feature of OSC: pattern matching. This is very
> > useful, as I can access lots of values at  the same time:
> >
> > "/sequencer/volume* 100" will set all 64 volume sliders to 100.
>
> I see, but that can be solved. "route" could be changed to do pattern
> matching.

I would generally have no problem with replacing the OSC-messages for
rrad-internal messages with lists.

But I would need to solve another thing: The fact, that OSC message
targets are just a single atom in Pd, and not a list, while they still
can describe hierarchies of e.g. abstractions.

This is very useful, if you want to "pack" lists into abstraction
arguments. $1 in OSC lingo can be "/myabs/synths/fm/carrier" whereas
[route]-lingo would need $1-4 for the same: "myabs synths fm carrier".

Now someone might suggest to pack the 4-element list with something
like "list2symbol" in advance. But in fact that only brings us back to
OSC formatted messages. ;)

Ciao