[PD-dev] an idea for Pd structure

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Oct 17 23:15:52 CEST 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > I see, but that can be solved. "route" could be changed to do pattern
> > matching.
>
> I would generally have no problem with replacing the OSC-messages for
> rrad-internal messages with lists.
>
> But I would need to solve another thing: The fact, that OSC message
> targets are just a single atom in Pd, and not a list, while they still
> can describe hierarchies of e.g. abstractions.
>
> This is very useful, if you want to "pack" lists into abstraction
> arguments. $1 in OSC lingo can be "/myabs/synths/fm/carrier" whereas
> [route]-lingo would need $1-4 for the same: "myabs synths fm carrier".

Thinking about that I am not even sure if the possibility to send
to /myabs/synths/fm/carrier directly is such a good thing, as it
completely destroys encapsulation of abstractions. all /myabs messages
should be handled by myabs and its subpatches.

Otherwise I can just hookup any receiver to /myabs/synths/fm/carrier and
create a complete mess ... if I am not very careful.

Forcing decomposition of message hierarchies into the objects where they
belong seem to be a restriction that actually helps to write better code.

Another problem is that a route with wildcards is not enough, what we
would need additionally is a "receive" with wildcards.

I am still trying to follow the pd train of thought instead of
thinking OSC  ... If we are weak now, we will end up like C++,
which has, in fact, its good additions, but there are too many bad
ones and it generally ended up being a collection of concepts.
It has its followers, though.

Guenter