[PD-dev] an idea for Pd structure

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Oct 17 23:47:25 CEST 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Thinking about that I am not even sure if the possibility to send
> > to /myabs/synths/fm/carrier directly is such a good thing, as it
> > completely destroys encapsulation of abstractions. all /myabs messages
> > should be handled by myabs and its subpatches.
>
> Just to clarify this: In memento, I'm not using any global receivers
> at all (except one). So the "r /myabs/whatever] thing is not a part of
> Memento, and I agree, that this would be bad for encapsulation which
> is no problem in "single user" patches, but encapsulation is crucial
> for abstraction libraries.
>
> All remote control from outside an abstraction is running through
> inlets, not receivers.

Ah, I see ...

> > Another problem is that a route with wildcards is not enough, what we
> > would need additionally is a "receive" with wildcards.
>
> I don't see, where a wildcard-receive would be necessary in this
> context?

Hmm, most likely I had a knot in my brain. I was thinking about the
wildcard feature of OSC.  A user who wants to have [receive]'s in the
abstractions instead of passing through inlets.
But then you would need the wildcards in [send]'s in order to access
more than one receiver, not in the receive's.

Does this make more sense ?

Guenter