[PD-dev] an idea for Pd structure

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Mon Oct 18 13:45:53 CEST 2004

> One problem is, that the Memento system doesn't care about types. You
> can save everything, even floats and lists. And "0.1 * loop.wav" is
> difficult to interpret.

in the system I'm curently using (made around a custom pbank object)
list are interpolated element by element (if the 2 interpolated list are
the same size).
the possibility to have symbol instead of float is the solution not to
interpol every value.
exemple of what is currently running on my computer :

preset_default : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 110
preset_1       : 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 foo
preset_2       : 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 foo
preset_3       : 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 foo
preset_4       : 0 9 0 9 0 9 0 9 0 foo

default preset is load on startup.
then I just have interpolation beetween preset 1, 2, 3 and 4 :

out = preset_1 * C1 + preset_2 * C2 ...

the 110 value of the preset_default is in this exemple the volume.
this value can not be interpolized (foo), so interpolating will not
occur for this specific parametter.
in fact, I use a lots the list of float/symbol in my interpolation
preset system.

> Wouldn't most interpolation issues be possible to solve with a kind of
> stored envelope? Like an ADSR also describes an interpolation, but it
> still can be stored using four static values.

weel, I don't see how an ADSR can help for interpolation.
maybe I did not really undersant what you thinking of.

cyrille