[PD-dev] Interpolation and weighting [Was: idea for Pd structure]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Oct 24 13:28:38 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:

> cyrille henry hat gesagt: // cyrille henry wrote:
>
> > in the system I'm curently using (made around a custom pbank object)
> > list are interpolated element by element (if the 2 interpolated list are
> > the same size).
> > the possibility to have symbol instead of float is the solution not to
> > interpol every value.
> > exemple of what is currently running on my computer :
> >
> > preset_default : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 110
> > preset_1       : 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 foo
> > preset_2       : 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 foo
> > preset_3       : 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 foo
> > preset_4       : 0 9 0 9 0 9 0 9 0 foo
>
> Action speaks louder than words: I tried to mimick this with Memento
> in attached patches, which require Memento of course + zexy.

More loud action regarding this cute problem: tester2.pd shows some
more ideas in this interpolation business, which I'd prefer to call
weighting actually (like in "weighted sum").

Now I abstracted out the weighting into a list scale abstraction
rrad.lscale, which simply scales all floats in a list by some value,
then sends out the scaled list. This maybe should be an external in
the end, because it's probably called many times and has to be fast.

Then tester2.pd uses this rrad.lscale in two ways: One is for scaling
OSC messages, as they are put out or accepted in the OSC-xlets of
rradical patches. This will let one abstraction scale another one of
the same type (or at least with the same OSC-target names). However
this will not easily let a change of scaling factor trigger a change
of the child abstraction's settings.

This is possible with the second approach I took in the same patch:
Here I use a wrapper around [commun] which decorates commun with a
second outlet for scaled values. Scaling (weighting, interpolation)
then is simply possible by replacing [commun]-objects with
[lscale-commun]-objects and reading out the scaled outlet. The example
abstraction lscale-sliders.pd has such a scaler inside.

Is this any good?

Ciao