[PD-dev] re: branch convergence

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 25 17:33:33 CEST 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > I'd gladly introduce the full-blown console code into devel_0_37 but
> > if you are going to drop it soon in favour of Miller's then what's the
> > point... I haven't tried it but I heard it was missing features. Is it
> > an optional console? what's the amount of scrollback it allows, and is
> > that configurable?
> i'd suggest to leave the devel_0_37 branch more or less, as it is ...
> and if you miss some features, it's probably better to build these
> features on top of miller's console ...
> we should try to follow a single line of development ... especially not
> removing any code by miller, but add useful code to it ... so if there
> is a console in the msp release, use his code and extend it ...

Alright. But for the other features I don't want to wait an undetermined
amount of time so I began changing devel_0_37. I will try to keep the
changes pretty much contained so that they are not too hard to merge. In
particular I added src/u_matju.tk. It may seem strange to have a file
named by an author and not a functionality, but then many files have
"iem" written all over them, and I think that in the modularisation of Pd
we should take into account the fact that there are several people
contributing that try not to step on each other's toes while getting
new functionality in.

So a lot of my new code should be in u_matju.tk for now, and more in
additional u_*.tk files i will add later on. However I cannot avoid
modifying the C code to introduce the features I want to introduce.

I will state all of my changes on this list (even though there is already
the pd-cvs list for that).

src:
  cvs tag devel_0_37_A

src/t_tkcmd.c:
  tcl_vmess(): fixed buffer overflow
  pdgui_doevalfile(): print loadtime tcl error messages

src/s_path.c:
  glob_update_path(): added (for use by class browser)

src/m_class.c:
  added class browser thingies:
    t_class_list, class_list, class_find(), glob_update_class_info()

src/m_glob.c:
  added ";pd" methods:
    update-class-list update-class-info update-path help

src/u_matju.tk: (new file)
  added class browser code

src/makefile.in:
  installing u_matju.tk

src/u_main.tk:
  added class browser in Help menu
  pdtk_pd_startup now has 3rd arg optional (bugfix)
  reads u_matju.tk

src/m_class.c:
  class_new(): now records in class_list