[PD-dev] re: branch convergence

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 25 22:47:28 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > So a lot of my new code should be in u_matju.tk for now, and more in
> > additional u_*.tk files i will add later on. However I cannot avoid
> > modifying the C code to introduce the features I want to introduce.
> if so, please add a command line flag like --enable-impd to enable your
> changes ... especially if they are additional features and not bugfixes

My policy is that, if they don't interfere with the usual behaviour, I
just add them directly; but if they do then I have either a compile-time
option or a load-time option, preferably the latter. I hope to
introduce the GUI overhaul as a load-time option (-modelview) and to make
as little use as possible of the compile-time (configure-time) options,
even though it's more work (like making sure there is no conflict during
linking). This way, when devel binaries are published, the new gui will be
a command-line option away.

> if they are bug fixes (tcl_vmess()), please also fix them in 0.38-testX,
> and send a patch to miller ...

Whoever really wants those fixes in 0.38 should take that initiative.
Personally I am satisfied with just having them in devel_0_37 for now. I
don't intend to use plain 0.38 because I am interested in actually using
the improvements I make, so devel_0_37 is currently my only concern (I
think this is rather natural).

> since you are changing a lot in the gui, maybe it's a good idea to
> write your code for 0.38 ... i'm not that familiar with miller's
> changes to the gui code ...

I'm carefully avoiding committing code from the console and the pdrc
editor because of that. Those are the only interferences that I am aware
of. If Miller wants to have a look at IMPD's ChangeLog (and tell me
whether anything else may conflict), here it is:

Impd 0.37.A (-r impd_0_37_A) :
 * forked from devel_0_37, 2004.02.21
 * added console for post()
   * .pdrc: -console <number_of_lines>
 * added button bar (that does like Ctrl+E & Put menu)
   * .pdrc: -look <directory_of_icons>
     (remember you can't use ~ nor $HOME in .pdrc)
   * includes a selectable windowid (for those who know how to use it)
 * class list dialog
   * scans for loaded classes, abstractions/externs dirs
   * help button fetches help file without needing to instantiate first
   * filter box helps finding classes quickly
   * displays some info on the class, like a list of defined methods and
     such.
 * statusbar shows cursor position (enable with -statusbar)

Impd 0.37.A.2 (-r impd_0_37_A_2) :
 * merged GG's reverting of "quote hack"

Impd 0.37.B :
 * moving rendering to the TCL side
 * moving event-handling to the TCL side too
 * new file u_object.tk
 * added pd_scanargs(), pd_upload(), sys_mgui().
 * added color schemes (modifiable in u_main.tk)
 * switched to a jmaxish look
 * merged g_vdial.c into g_hdial.c
 * merged g_vslider.c into g_hslider.c
 * added Patcher->View->Redraw
 * added proc populate_menu, proc property_dialog
 * added ~/.pd.tk loading
 * inlet tooltips have new look
 * rewrote all of the property dialogs
 * added object class name completion (the <Tab> key)
 * mouse scrollwheel works in patchers
 * plus/minus button on tcl listener
 * changed default font and borderwidth
 * if conf not found in ~ ($HOME),
     looks in Pd's install directory (eg. /usr/local/lib/pd)
 * looks for .impdrc before .pdrc
 * pdrc editor
 * -help lists unavailable options with note "not compiled in"
 * sys_vgui() message size limit removed
 * new peak meters (thanks Carmen)
 * dropper object outputs symbols of filenames (requires tkdnd)
 * joe sarlo's VST-plugin i/o scheduler available on windows
 * error() merged into pd_error()
     and using strerror() to get meaningful error messages for failed I/O
 * completely breaking compatibility with Pd's GUI externals
   (for a good reason)

Note that not all of those changes are going to be in devel_0_37, and many
of them will be modified significantly before they enter devel_0_37 or
devel_0_38, especially the areas covered by that "-modelview" option.